Partager

L’ombre et la lumière

The collection of grisaille in the Maison de Victor Hugo
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House
Maison de Victor Hugo
30 œuvres

Les collections de la Maison de Victor Hugo sont bien sûr particulièrement riches en œuvres originales pour l’illustration des écrits de Victor Hugo, et les peintures en grisailles y occupent une place notable. Elles se répartissent parmi ces trois grands chantiers de l’iconographie hugolienne que furent Le Livre d’or de Victor Hugo, publié en 1883, et deux éditions des œuvres complètes, l’édition Hugues (de 1876 à 1897) et l’Edition Nationale (de 1885 à 1896), qui sollicitèrent les grands artistes du temps. Destinées à être gravées, ces peintures se concentrent au-delà des détails de la représentation, sur l’ombre et la lumière, anticipant le noir et blanc de l’encre d’imprimerie. Elles revendiquent que donner une image à un texte littéraire n’est pas nécessairement un art mineur et que, peintres et écrivains se retrouvent dans le partage de l’imaginaire.

Gérard Audinet
L’ombre et la lumière
Le fonds de peintures en grisaille de la Maison de Victor Hugo
Maison de Victor Hugo

The 19th century was a great producer of images. With the illustrated press, which took off in the early 1830s, and the revival of book illustrations, it was a century, it would seem, that would only believe what it could see.

Victor Hugo’s works spanned the entire period and, as a result, enjoyed the three great phases of that frenzy of images that adorned 19th century literature – from the blossoming of the romantic vignette, to the flood of popular editions, and the swansong of those collectors’ editions celebrating the glories of the Third Republic.

 

Illustration was a work of collaboration between the artist, who usually provided a drawing as a model, and the engraver’s workshop, where the engravers would make a plate of the drawing.

It was a technical revolution that enabled publishers to gain a foothold during this period of industrial revolution. By using the wood’s end grain – i.e. cutting the wood across the trunk rather than along the grain –, it was possible to composite the images alongside the movable type of the text, thus avoiding costly fold-outs that had to be bound separately. The strength of the blocks also made it possible to produce very long print runs. However the invention of electrotyping very soon made it possible to transfer the woodblocks onto copper. The long, cheap print runs of illustrated texts made books more attractive and more accessible and were one of the main reasons for the growing mass appeal of literature. Victor Hugo’s hugely successful works were emblematic of this democratisation of reading.

There was another technical revolution that probably favoured the production of grisaille paintings. In the 1880s, the use of photography to transfer an image to the woodblock made for subtler shades of grey from the painting itself, although some engravers were sorry at the disappearance of the dark blacks and strong whites.

 

But, when you compare works with their reproductions, this explanation is not always convincing; Georges Rochegrosse, for example, used both drawing and grisaille for the same illustration and the plates are aesthetically similar. Some parallel phenomenon must have played a part in this.

 

Illustrators, like cartoonists, were tainted by the industrial and commercial aspect of the process and its affinities with the press, and they consequently found themselves relegated to the bottom of the scale in the hierarchy of artistic recognition.

During the Third Republic, however, things moved on. Famous artists working within the ‘official’ framework began to be sought after to illustrate books intended for collectors. Even Eugène Hugues’s edition of the complete works of Victor Hugo, which was a popular edition, used artists who had exhibited at the Salon. Grisaille came to be a way of affirming one’s status as a painter rather than as a mere illustrator.

 

It went hand in hand with the higher artistic demands that came about with the decline of mass-market editions – in spite of this, artists continued to complain that their work was compromised by mediocre printers – or poor quality paper! The colossal new edition of the complete works of Victor Hugo, which was launched in 1885, is a brilliant example of the use of etching, a medium that was undergoing a revival at the time and was beginning to be used in collectors’ editions with fine engraved plates.

Le Livre d’or de Victor Hugo par l’élite des artistes et des écrivains contemporains. Direction de Emile Blémont, Paris, Librairie artistique – H. Launette, Editeur, 1882

Ce livre est publié pour célébrer les quatre-vingts ans de Victor Hugo, à la suite des grandes manifestations qui ont marqué cet anniversaire. Il est constitué d’un chapitre biographique, suivi de chapitres chronologiques présentant les œuvres de l’écrivain, puis d’une section consacrée à « Victor Hugo artiste » et enfin d’un rappel de la fête des « quatre-vingts ans » du 27 février 1881.

Ouvrage de prestige, constituant le premier modèle d’édition pour bibliophiles avec un programme artistique ambitieux, il mêle deux types d’illustrations.

Dans le texte, vignettes, bandeaux de titre, lettrines et culs-de-lampe sont confiés à des illustrateurs professionnels, en tête desquels Gustave Fraipont, mais aussi Jules Adeline, Alexandre Fernandinus, Paul Kauffmann, Ernest von Liphart, dont le musée conserve près de soixante-dix dessins originaux.

Mais « l’élite des artistes », qu’annonce le titre a été invitée à contribuer aux nombreuses planches hors-texte réparties tout au long de l’ouvrage, à la fois témoignages et hommages, à la vie et l’œuvre de Victor Hugo. Leurs contributions consistent soit en œuvres indépendantes, déjà produite pour le Salon  – c’est le cas par exemple de célèbre Caïn de Cormon –, soit en œuvres réalisées spécialement pour l’ouvrage. Ne relevant pas au sens strict de l’illustration, elles sont largement reproduites par la photogravure. Si les deux grisailles des frères Gaston et Lucien Mélingue – hommages familiaux à leur père, acteur – s’inscrivent dans la tradition illustrative, en revanche l’Ève – répondant au « Sacre de la femme », de La Légende des siècles – de Paul Baudry témoigne de ce positionnement à la limite d’un genre que doit assumer toute peinture puisant son inspiration dans une œuvre littéraire, comme elle le pratique depuis le romantisme dans une volonté de renouvellement de la peinture d’histoire.

Paul Baudry (1828-1886)

Zoom
Le sacre de la femme
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autre visuel (1)
La Légende des siècles (V.Hugo)
Le sacre de la femme
Baudry, Paul
Datation
Vers 1883
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Le sacre de la femme

Baudry, Paul (La Roche-sur-Yon, 07–11–1828 - Paris, 17–01–1886), peintre
Vers 1883
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House
Gaston Mélingue (1840-1914) and Lucien Mélingue (1841-1889)

The Mélingue family divided their life between the theatre and the artist’s studio. Etienne Mélingue, the father, had trained as a sculptor but his passion for the theatre drove him to become an actor. With the help of Marie Dorval, who introduced him to Alexandre Dumas, he was launched on a brilliant career in Romantic drama. In 1838, he married Théodorine Thiesset, the actress who created the role of Guanhumara in Victor Hugo’s Les Burgraves, in 1843. He, however, did not act in a Hugo play until the reprise of Lucrèce Borgia in 1870.

The marriage produced a daughter and two sons, Gaston and Lucien, who both became painters. Gaston and Lucien carried on living with their parents in the large house their father had bought in the Rue Levert in Belleville, and they each had a studio there. They both specialised in scenes from modern history.

Etienne Mélingue was the first actor to take the title role in Benvenuto Cellini by Paul Meurice. He encouraged Meurice to come to Veules-les-Roses, where, like Mélingue, he bought a villa. In summer, at the end of his life, Victor Hugo was a guest at Meurice’s villa.

So, not surprisingly, there is work by both brothers in Le Livre d’or de Victor Hugo – two theatrical subjects, one of which, Don César, was a part played by their father. Lucien also contributed illustrations to the Hugues Edition and the Édition Nationale.

Zoom
Don Alphonse d'Este
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autre visuel (1)
Lucrèce Borgia (V.Hugo)
Don Alphonse d'Este
Mélingue, Gaston
Datation
1882
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Don Alphonse d'Este

Mélingue, Gaston (Paris, 1840 - Paris, 1914), peintre
1882
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House
Zoom
Don Cesar de Bazan
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autre visuel (1)
Ruy Blas (V.Hugo)
Don Cesar de Bazan
Mélingue, Lucien
Datation
En 1882
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Don Cesar de Bazan

Mélingue, Lucien (Paris, 18–12–1841 - Aix-les-Bains, 04–10–1889), peintre
En 1882
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

L’édition des œuvres complètes de Victor Hugo lancée par Eugène Hugues est une entreprise qui s’étend sur de nombreuses années, de 1876 à 1897. D’abord connue comme Edition populaire illustrée  ou Nouvelle édition illustrée, elle prendra le nom d’édition du Victor Hugo illustré, quand Monaque prendra la suite de Hugues.

Il s’agit d’une édition populaire qui parait en fascicules vendus 10 centimes : 1 383 livraisons au total, constituant 33 volumes. Lorsque toutes les livraisons d’un volume étaient publiées, un certain nombre étaient alors brochés pour constituer un tome. Le papier est mince et de médiocre qualité, néanmoins il fut tiré des exemplaires de luxe sur papier Hollande et Chine. Selon les caractéristiques propres aux éditions populaires, le texte est imprimé sur deux colonnes et accompagné d’une riche illustration. Comme il était courant à l’époque, pour des raisons d’économie, on réemploie des images d’éditions antérieures tout en complétant l’illustration de créations originales. Ainsi, plusieurs volumes sont illustrés en duo : Les Travailleurs de la Mer reprend une grande partie des dessins de François Chifflart (pour Hetzel et lacroix, en 1869) y ajoutant ceux de Daniel Vierges, tandis que L’homme qui rit complète les dessins de Vierges par les images de Georges Rochegrosse.

Du fait de son caractère relativement tardif et de sa durée, l’édition Hugues traduit aussi l’évolution de l’illustration au point que l’on pourrait parler d’une édition de transition plus que d’une édition populaire au sens strict. En effet, au fil des ans, elle ne fait pas seulement appel à des illustrateurs de métier mais aussi à des artistes issus des Beaux-Arts et ayant déjà connu des succès au Salon. C’est le cas de Georges Rochegrosse ou de Tony Robert-Fleury, par exemple, mais aussi de Jean-Paul Laurens qui fut le maître de plusieurs de ces artistes. C’est incontestablement le signe d’une certaine redistribution des cartes et d’une nouvelle attitude des peintres face à l’illustration où ils trouvent des revenus appréciables.

Le Musée conserve un fonds particulièrement riche relatif à cette entreprise : outre près de quatre-vingt-dix œuvres originales, peintures ou dessins, on peut y trouver un nombre considérable de fumés, épreuves d’essai des gravures dont la qualité rend justice au travail des illustrateurs, souvent trahi par le piètre papier de l’édition courante.

Si les illustrations sont inégalement réparties selon les ouvrages, l’édition Hugues reste sans doute le plus grand réservoir de l’iconographie hugolienne, dans toute sa diversité.

Georges Antoine Rochegrosse (1859-1938)

Mention should be made of Georges Rochegrosse, since the museum has a set of thirty-eight pieces by him, including eight grisaille paintings that were used as illustrations in several volumes of the Hugues edition. They are the main representative of this kind of illustration and Rochegrosse is one of the best represented illustrators in our collections.

Rochegrosse’s illustrations were used for poems and plays, as well as novels – particularly Han d’Islande (‘Hans of Iceland’) and L’Homme qui rit (‘The Man who Laughs’). He did all the illustrations for both. The Rochegrosse collection has been in the museum since it first opened, although it is not known whether they were the result of separate or grouped purchases through the engraver Fortuné Méaulle, or from Rochegrosse himself. Paul Meurice was certainly in contact with him; he commissioned a painting from him, Les Burgraves, for the opening of the museum.

Rochegrosse did not find himself illustrating Victor Hugo by chance. He was encouraged and supported by his stepfather Théodore de Banville, himself an admirer and friend of Victor Hugo’s. It was Théodore de Banville who launched Rochegrosse’s career when he asked him to illustrate his collections of poems. And the atmosphere in their home, rather than their connections, must have fostered Rochegrosse’s understanding of the Hugo texts and enabled him to capture their spirit.

After a formal academic training and twice failing to win the Prix de Rome, Rochegrosse began his career at the 1882 Salon, where he quickly made a name for himself as a history painter. He later turned towards Orientalism and spent most of his time living in Algeria. But he was at the beginning of his career, between 1883 and 1886, when he received his first commissions and was asked to illustrate the two Victor Hugo novels Han d’Islande (‘Hans of Iceland’) and L’Homme qui rit (‘The Man who Laughs’). He continued to work as an illustrator throughout his career.

The L’Homme qui rit volume was typical of publishing practice at the time. It re-used most of the drawings Daniel Vierge had done in 1877 for the first illustrated edition at the Librairie Polo, but in a larger format, which was made possible by additions at the sides. The commissioning of Rochegrosse, who brought his prestige as a painter rather than illustrator to the job, was a new departure in that it saw the introduction of large plates. The museum has twelve original drafts from this work: eight oil paintings and four large drawings, as well as an almost complete set of ‘fumé’ impressions – test proofs of the engravings. We can see that Rochegrosse varied his techniques. He chose grisaille for the shipwreck of the comprachicos (Le Naufrage des comprachicos), but above all, for the gallery of portraits to illustrate the introductory chapters: his depictions are remarkable character studies.

While remaining exceptionally faithful to the text and showing great accuracy and balance, Georges Rochegrosse’s illustrations avoid the dangers of  mere ‘illustrations in costume’ and take us into the dark side of the novel.

Rochegrosse, Georges-Antoine (Versailles, 02–08–1859 - El Biar, 11–07–1938), peintre
Entre 1882 et 1883
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House
Zoom
Le Naufrage
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autre visuel (1)
L'Homme qui rit (V.Hugo)
Le Naufrage
Rochegrosse, Georges-Antoine
Datation
Vers 1886
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Le Naufrage

Rochegrosse, Georges-Antoine (Versailles, 02–08–1859 - El Biar, 11–07–1938), peintre
Vers 1886
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Georges Antoine Rochegrosse (1859-1938)

Emile Bayard (1837 - 1891)

Zoom
Cambronne
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autre visuel (1)
Les Misérables (V.Hugo)
Cambronne
Bayard, Emile Antoine
Datation
Entre 1879 et 1882
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Cambronne

Bayard, Emile Antoine (La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, 02–11–1837 - Le Caire, en 12–1891), peintre
Entre 1879 et 1882
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Lucien Mélingue (1841 - 1889)

Zoom
Après la bataille
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autre visuel (1)
La Légende des siècles (V.Hugo)
Après la bataille
Mélingue, Lucien
Datation
En 1881 — 1891
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Après la bataille

Mélingue, Lucien (Paris, 18–12–1841 - Aix-les-Bains, 04–10–1889), peintre
En 1881 1891
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House
Tony Robert Fleury (1837 - 1911)
Zoom
Amy Robsart au pied de la reine
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
© Julien Vidal / Maisons de Victor Hugo / Roger-Viollet
X
Zoom
Autres visuels (3)
Amy Robsart au pied de la reine
Robert-Fleury, Tony
Datation
Entre 1890 et 1891
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Amy Robsart au pied de la reine

Robert-Fleury, Tony (Paris, 01–09–1837 - Paris, 08–12–1911), peintre
Entre 1890 et 1891
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House
Zoom
Alix apparaissant au masque
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autres visuels (2)
Alix apparaissant au masque
Robert-Fleury, Tony
Datation
Entre 1890 et 1891
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Alix apparaissant au masque

Robert-Fleury, Tony (Paris, 01–09–1837 - Paris, 08–12–1911), peintre
Entre 1890 et 1891
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Jean-Joseph Benjamin-Constant (1845 - 1902)

Zoom
Arcadion
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autre visuel (1)
Arcadion
Benjamin-Constant, Jean-Joseph
Datation
Vers 1893
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Arcadion

L’année de la mort de Victor Hugo commence à paraître, sous l’intitulé « Edition Nationale », ce qui se présente comme une « édition définitive » de ses œuvres complètes, « artistique et monumentale », « avec la collaboration de nos principaux artistes peintres, sculpteurs et graveurs » ou, selon les termes du traité entre Victor, Lemmonyer et Richard en date du 14 janvier 1884, « illustrée par les sommités de l’art contemporain ».

L’entreprise est lancée avec toute la pompe possible, par un grand banquet donné la veille de l’anniversaire de Victor Hugo, le 25 février 1885. Une médaille commémorative due au ciseau d’Oscar Roty (le créateur de la célèbre « semeuse » des pièces de monnaie) est offerte au poète. La presse se fait l’écho de l’événement à grand renfort de chiffres, annonçant quarante volumes in-quarto (il en paraitra finalement quarante-trois), deux-cent cinquante gravures hors-texte et deux mille cinq-cents vignettes, le tout tiré à trois mille exemplaires se décomposant en : « cinquante sur papier Japon, à 6 000 fr, cinquante sur Chine, à 3 000 fr, [etc.] ». La presse précise même, après la liste des artistes prévus, que le budget total dévolu à l’illustration, « dessins et gravures » s’élève à 1 500 000 fr, sur un investissement global de 2 500 000 fr ! Le bénéfice attendu est lui de 3 750 000 fr… Mais, fut-il jamais réalisé ?

 

L’opération semble, en effet, avoir rencontré assez vite des difficultés, comme en témoignent les changement dans l’association dont l’édition est le fruit, entre un éditeur-libraire, J. Lemonnyer, un imprimeur, G. Richard, et Émile Testard qui possède une entreprise familiale de brochage. Les premiers volumes, « Poésie I » à « Poésie III » paraissent en 1885 avec la mention « J. Lemonnyer éditeur, G. Richard et Cie imprimeur, les 4e, 5e et 6e volumes en 1886 avec la mention « J. Lemonnyer éditeur, E. Testard directeur », avant que ne subsiste le seul nom d’Émile Testard à partir du 7e volume et 1er tome de La Légende des siècles. Ces différents intitulés sont le signe de la faillite de l’entreprise que Testard relève seul, en vendant son entreprise de brochage pour fonder sa maison d’édition qui publiera aussi Molière, Mérimée, Sand, etc. Ces débuts difficiles vont laisser place au succès, couronné par plusieurs récompenses dans les grandes expositions internationales, jusqu’au terme de l’entreprise en 1895. Aussi l’appellation  « Edition Nationale » désigne-t-elle d’abord l’édition des œuvres complètes de Victor Hugo, puis la société d’édition d’Émile Testard elle-même.

L’édition est destinée aux amateurs bibliophiles : gros volumes d’un format 28,5 x 22,5 cm allant jusqu’à 10 cm d’épaisseur, beau papier, typographie soignée et aérée sur une seule colonne, vignettes de titres et planches hors-texte en pleine page tirées en deux états, confiées à des artistes renommés et des graveurs à l’eau-forte. Autant de critères qui marque la distinction par rapport à une édition populaire comme le précise encore l’article premier du traité :

L’édition est destinée aux amateurs bibliophiles : gros volumes d’un format 28,5 x 22,5 cm allant jusqu’à 10 cm d’épaisseur, beau papier, typographie soignée et aérée sur une seule colonne, vignettes de titres et planches hors-texte en pleine page tirées en deux états, confiées à des artistes renommés et des graveurs à l’eau-forte. Autant de critères qui marque la distinction par rapport à une édition populaire comme le précise encore l’article premier du traité :

« M. Victor Hugo se réserve le droit de faire dans ce format une édition populaire illustrée à bon marché, laquelle du reste est en cours de publication. »

, désignant l’édition Hugues.

 

La dimension artistique est expressément affirmée et placée au centre du projet ; elle prend donc explicitement la suite du « Livre d’or de Victor Hugo par l’élite des artistes et des écrivains contemporains », faisant œuvre de célébration. La mort du grand homme, quelques mois après le lancement de l’édition la fera même percevoir comme le premier monument funéraire élevé à la gloire de Victor Hugo.  

Logiquement, la collection d’œuvres originales produites par les artistes pour servir de modèles aux artistes va prendre une importance notable. Celles-ci restant la propriété de l’éditeur, en homme d’affaire averti, Émile Testard ne va pas manquer de la valoriser. Dès 1885, déjà, pour le « Musée Victor Hugo », exposition organisée au foyer du Théâtre des Nations à l’occasion des représentations de Notre-Dame de Paris, deux œuvres originales sont prêtées par Lemmonyer qui fait d’ailleurs partie du comité d’organisation. Mais c’est surtout Émile Testard qui semble lui donner toute la visibilité possible. En 1889, lors du bref épisode d’ouverture au public de la maison que Victor Hugo habitait à la fin de sa vie (avenue d’Eylau devenue avenue Victor Hugo), l’éditeur fait partie des collectionneurs qui en constituent le fonds. Ses œuvres sont présentées dans la véranda, la salle qui précède la bibliothèque et la salle à manger. Cette « suite de peintures, aquarelles, dessins, sculptures » est listée au catalogue sous les numéros 401 à 503. Il organise ensuite en novembre 1891, puis, de nouveau en novembre 1892 à la galerie Georges Petit, une exposition de la collection dont il édite lui-même le catalogue,

« […] dessins, peintures, aquarelles et gravures des principaux artistes modernes pour l’illustration des œuvres de Molière, Victor Hugo, Balzac, George Sand, Prosper Mérimée, etc. »

, soit plus de deux mille œuvres. C’est par cette même galerie, l’une des plus prestigieuses de l’époque, que la collection sera mise en vente et dispersée en 1896.

 

La répartition de l’illustration est déterminée dès l’origine : quatre à cinq gravures hors texte en pleine page et autant de vignettes ou bandeaux de titre qu’il y a de poèmes, de chapitres ou d’actes dans les œuvres. Mais le principe qui présidait à la distribution des illustrations semble avoir changé en cours de publication. Lors de la parution des trois premiers volumes, le journal « Le Matin » du 30 mars 1885 précise :

« Pour les 250 gravures hors texte, les éditeurs ont tenu à ne demander à chaque illustrateur qu’un seul dessin, afin de réunir, dans cette œuvre magistrale, un tel ensemble d’artistes qu’ils soient, pour ainsi dire, la personnification complète de l’art français à notre époque. »

Mais, de fait les premiers volumes ont un aspect disparate, Odes et Ballades par exemple offrent quatre eau-forte d’après Gervex, Bayard, Leroux et Garnier tandis que les vignettes de titres sont réparties entre Régereau (dont le musée conserve la presque totalité des dessins), Hervier, Petiau et Fraipont et encore, celles-ci relèvent plus de l’ornement historié que de l’illustration. Il faudra attendre Les Chansons des rues et des Bois pour que ces bandeaux s’intègrent de manière véritablement illustrative. On peut penser que c’est Émile Testard qui, maître de l’entreprise à cette date, a voulu donner plus d’harmonie à l’iconographie de chaque volume préférant par la suite en confier parfois l’illustration à un seul artiste, revenant ainsi sur le postulat de départ. Ce nouveau parti-pris donnera de belles réussites comme le travail de Luc-Olivier Merson pour « Notre-Dame-de-Paris », ou, pour citer ceux dont le musée conserve des exemples, celui de Georges Jeanniot pour « Les Misérables » ou d’Henri Martin pour « Angelo, Tyran de Padoue » même si des œuvres isolées, comme le « Titan » de Cabanel, « Le Satyre » de Cormon ou « Aimons toujours, aimons encore » de Dagnan-Bouveret, attestent de l’apport des grands maîtres de la troisième République à ce grand chantier de l’iconographie hugolienne où s’allient à la fois tradition et modernité.

HENRI MARTIN. LE CRUCIFIX. VERS 1887.  

Alexandre Cabanel (1823-1889)

Zoom
Le Titan
© Eric Emo / Maisons de Victor Hugo / Roger-Viollet
X
Zoom
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autres visuels (2)
La Légende des siècles (V.Hugo)
Le Titan
Cabanel, Alexandre
Datation
En 1884
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Le Titan

Le Titan was Cabanel’s only contribution to the Edition Nationale project. He had already treated at least one subject from Hugo’s works, Albaydé, 1848 (Musée Fabre), the subject of a poem in Les Orientales. It is not certain whether his biblical Ruth et Booz, circa 1868, was an illustration for Hugo’s poem Booz endormi from La Légende des siècles; only the sketch is extant (Musée Fabre). As a painter who had carved out his entire career under the Second French Empire, which had feted him, Cabanel’s presence here suggests either assimilation or, at least, the persistence of academicism into the Third Republic.

Nonetheless, what the painting was first intended for remains uncertain. The museum actually holds two copies of a version engraved by Méaulle, in a folder entitled ‘unpublished fumé impressions’. They are among the engravings from the Hugues edition, which is where La Légende des siècles was published in 1885. The date 1884, inscribed by the artist on the grisaille, would seem to confirm this hypothesis. It is highly likely that the Edition Nationale captured this project, originally destined for Eugène Hugues, in order to bag a prestigious name for themselves. As a matter of fact, Cabanel worked with Testard again on his album Les Mois, which was published like this volume of La Légende des siècles, in the same year, 1886, once again engraved by Jacquet, his favourite engraver.

The composition is extremely close to the preparatory drawing now held at the Musée Fabre, apart from the fact that the Titan is seen more from the back – his face in the shadows increases the sense of mystery about him, giving the picture greater dramatic intensity. Cabanel has chosen the most intense moment in the poem, the ending, and has inscribed the last lines at the bottom of the painting:

Ayant l'immense aspect des sommets foudroyés

Et la difformité sublime des décombres,

Regarda fixement les Olympiens sombres

Stupéfaits sur leur cime au fond de l'éther bleu,

Et leur cria, terrible : Ô dieux, il est un Dieu !

 

[Massive, immense, like those thunderstruck peaks

And the sublime deformity of the scree,

He stared hard at the dark Olympian gods

Bewildered on their peak in the azure sky,

And called out: O ye gods, there is one God!]

To give expression to this revelation of monotheism, the painter uses both the disproportionate size of the Titan, towering over the tiny Olympian gods and also his gesture, pointing outside the space of the canvas to the inexpressible immensity of God.

Cabanel, Alexandre (Montpellier, 28–09–1823 - Paris, 23–01–1889), peintre
En 1884
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Fernand Cormon (1845 – 1924)

Zoom
Le Satyre
© Maisons de Victor Hugo / Roger-Viollet
X
Zoom
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autres visuels (2)
Le Satyre
Cormon, Fernand (Fernand-Anne Piestre, dit)
Datation
1886 — 1889
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Le Satyre

Cormon, who was a pupil of Cabanel, first exhibited at the Salon at the very end of the Second Empire and attained recognition under the Third French Republic, where his ‘archaeologism’ was well-suited to the regime’s pedagogical intentions for painting, under the influence of such historians as Michelet, Taine and Renan. Cormon’s best-known work, and also the most famous of all the Hugo illustrations, with its reference to the poem La Conscience from La Légende des siècles, is of course his Caïn, 1880 (Musée d’Orsay). The artist revived biblical painting by imbuing it with prehistoric imagery.
We have here a scarcely idealised, almost ‘naturalist’ vision of Olympus, particularly in the figure of Hercules and emphasising the grotesque of the faun. The scene corresponds to the last two lines of the prologue of this major poem,

Hercule l'alla prendre au fond de son terrier,
Et l'amena devant Jupiter par l'oreille.

[Hercules caught him in the back of his lair,
And dragged him before Jupiter by the ear.]

At the same time, it shows the vision of the assembled gods in the background that the satyr will discover at the beginning of the first part of the poem.

Unusually, this picture was painted in red monochrome and is signed and dated ‘F. Cormon 89’, even though the book for which it is the frontispiece appeared in 1886. It was most probably exhibited when Hugo’s house (‘La Maison de Victor Hugo’ in the Avenue d’Eylau, now Avenue Victor Hugo) was opened to the public in 1889 for the Universal Exposition. This seems to be borne out by entry number 440 in the catalogue – ‘Le Satyre. Dessin de Cormon’ – in spite of its being described as a dessin (‘drawing’), as were the grisailles for Jeanne Endormie by Albert Fourié and for Dagnan-Bouveret’s Aimons toujours ! Aimons encore !

Pascal Dagnan-Bouveret (1852 – 1929)

Zoom
"Aimons toujours, aimons encore"
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autres visuels (2)
Les Contemplations (V.Hugo)
"Aimons toujours, aimons encore"
Dagnan-Bouveret, Pascal Adolphe Jean
Datation
Vers 1886
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

"Aimons toujours, aimons encore"

Dagnan-Bouveret joined Cabanel’s studio in 1869 . His career began at the same time as the French Third Republic and continued through it. He was more inclined towards bucolic and naturalist subjects, like his friend Jules Bastien-Lepage. He never really achieved success until after Bastien-Lepage’s death in 1884. It was during this period, in fact, that he was commissioned to illustrate the poem from Les Contemplations.

In his illustration for this poem Dagnan-Bouveret used a slightly more modern style than was usually possible in illustrating Hugo; artists were generally constrained by the historic settings of the novels and the dramas. But the nature of the poems in Les Contemplations favoured a different style. The varying shades of monochrome contribute to the pared down quality of the composition and help focus on his use of light, the modernity of which is highlighted by the contemporary motif of the oil lamp with its accentuation of contrasts and the shadows.

His treatment of the love motif also shows modernity in the expression and the gesture of tenderness: the woman has become as much a protector as an inspiration to the man and, by her gesture, she is seen to take the initiative in this intimate demonstration of their love. By isolating the subject as if on a blank page and leaving space on the canvas, by using a delicate brushstroke and not insisting heavily on his subject, Dagnan-Bouveret avoided the danger of sentimentality and, with a very modern simplicity, rendered his own expression of the age-old link between love and poetry. The work was most probably exhibited with Émile Testard’s collection at the Maison de Victor Hugo in the Avenue d’Eylau, in 1889, even though the catalogue describes it as n° 422, a ‘drawing’.

Albert Fourié (1854-1937)

Zoom
Jeanne endormie
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
© Maisons de Victor Hugo / Roger-Viollet
X
Zoom
Autres visuels (2)
L’Art d’être grand-père (V.Hugo)
Jeanne endormie
Fourié, Albert
Datation
Vers 1888
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Jeanne endormie

Fourié, Albert (Paris, en 1854 - en 1937), peintre
Vers 1888
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Pierre-Georges Jeanniot (1848 - 1934)

Jeanniot, Pierre Georges (Plainpalais, 02–07–1848 - Paris, en 01–1934)
Vers 1890
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Henri Martin (1860 - 1943)

Zoom
Le crucifix
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
Autre visuel (1)
Angelo, tyran de Padoue (V.Hugo)
Le crucifix
Martin, Henri
Datation
Vers 1887
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Le crucifix

Martin, Henri (Toulouse, 05–08–1860 - Labastide-du-Vert, 01–11–1943), peintre
Vers 1887
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Albert-Guillaume Démarest (1848-1906)

Unpublished projects
Jean Geoffroy (1853-1924)

The museum also holds two grisailles by Jean Geoffroy (1853-1924). Geoffroy was a pupil of Léon Bonnat and won several awards at the Salon. He was known for genre scenes, which he painted in a naturalist and sentimental vein. His paintings showed a predilection for ordinary people and childhood, subjects that he had been well placed to observe when he had lodgings in a school, at the beginning of his career, with a schoolteacher couple. He invented a whole set of imagery for schools, reflecting the ideals of public education established by Jules Ferry under the French Third Republic. In the mid-1870s, he caught the attention of Hetzel, who invited him to illustrate books for young people. For these he used the pseudonym Géo.

Neither of these images – one an illustration for Les Miserables, the other for the poem Petit Paul in La Légende des siècles – featured in any of the illustrated editions of Victor Hugo’s works. Dominique Lobstein, a specialist in this artist, has suggested that the paintings may have been done at the instance of a ‘school images commission’ that the painter was a member of. The brief of the commission was to ‘select engravings or photographs to be distributed as prizes, certificates of merit, or rewards for good marks and behaviour’. Nevertheless, among the fumé impressions for the Hugues Edition in the Museum’s collections, a version of Petit Paul, engraved by Méaulle, was found in a folder labelled ‘Unpublished fumé impressions’. So it is possible that Petit Paul was painted and engraved for the Hugues Edition but, for some unknown reason, eventually rejected in favour of Louis Mouchot’s version. As for the bucket episode in Les Miserables, it was actually illustrated by Adrien Marie. These images are perhaps simply an example of the random fate that could befall the work of illustrators on big projects.

Zoom
Jean Valjean et Cosette
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
© Maisons de Victor Hugo / Roger-Viollet
X
Zoom
Autres visuels (2)
Les Misérables (V.Hugo)
Jean Valjean et Cosette
Geoffroy, Jean (dit Geo)
Datation
Entre 1879 et 1882
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Jean Valjean et Cosette

Geoffroy, Jean (dit Geo) (Marennes, 01–03–1853 - Paris, en 12–1924), peintre
Entre 1879 et 1882
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House
Zoom
Petit Paul
CC0 Paris Musées / Maisons de Victor Hugo Paris-Guernesey
X
Zoom
© Maisons de Victor Hugo / Roger-Viollet
X
Zoom
© Maisons de Victor Hugo / Roger-Viollet
X
Zoom
Autres visuels (3)
Petit Paul
Geoffroy, Jean (dit Geo)
Musée
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House

Petit Paul

Geoffroy, Jean (dit Geo) (Marennes, 01–03–1853 - Paris, en 12–1924), peintre
Peinture
Maison de Victor Hugo - Hauteville House
Retour vers le haut de page